Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Personal Update/quick introduction


Hello to all. For those of you who haven’t been able to shake me since the beginning of WiMW (Pip and Samantha) only a couple things have changed. My family and I are still very much enjoying life in Hawaii. We just returned from a trip to the north of England which has re-invigorated my appreciation of more equatorial climates. The US Air Force still employs me as an intelligence officer but I’ve changed positions within the last few months. Previously I commanded armed Predator UAV missions over Iraq and Afghanistan, a job that was usually rewarding, occasionally exciting, and sometimes frustrating. Now I work for another intelligence agency doing work more focused on the Pacific region. I’m very interested in meeting (virtually at least) everyone and delving into this module.

5 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Pip Leighton said...

So Sean it's just "you me and a dog named ..." left! Sorry Samantha - nothing personal - just reminded me of the words in the song!

That said, I bet some of the other "groupings" are saying the same thing?

Let's kick some "..." this term and have some deep and meaningful discussions - there's some great material ahead, although I'm already confused - not so much what I believe in but what to call myself!!! I do know that I'm not Neocon nor a Hobbesian! Certainly a little Kantian and also a little "English School" (legacy issue - being English!). Mayb e more reading will help me but I do question the need for labels. This breeds conflict because it focusses on differences. Your American and I'm British or am I European or English or are you a "Southerner" or am I a "notherner" or a Christian or you a Muslim. Or God (which ever you believe in) forbid are we both human i.e. the same? Hum - enough of this rubbish but good to see you blogging away!

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger rk said...

Hi Sean,

Good to meet you virtually.

I know what you mean about labels, Pip. I probably shouldn't admit to this so early in the course but I have always had a degree of skepticism about tying oneself too tightly to one mast - ever since my first undergraduate seminar in World Politics (at Leeds in 1991) when we were all asked to confess to being either a realist or an idealist (and I was roundly told off for admitting tendencies toward the latter!) However, all of this puts me in mind of a talk given by Prof Freedman a couple of years ago at the British International Studies Association Conference entitled something like 'Confessions of a reluctant constructivist'. I wonder how many of those there'll be by the end...

Rachel

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Sean Atkins said...

Hi Pip and Rachel,
I also have some reluctance in using labels, particularly in classifying my own beliefs. Like you I seem to be pretty diverse in philosophy. Using labels seems to set you up for confrontation (Realism vs. Idealism/utopianism) and leaves little room for nuance or synthesis. Something I found interesting in the readings was that even some of the foundational realist thinkers did not seem to fit entirely into their category. Take for instance this passage from E.H. Carr’s, the often described anti-utopian, 20 Years Crisis: “any sound political thought must be based on both utopia and reality.” I’ve found Carr especially appealing for his more nuanced view and his honest and still hopeful appraisal of world poliitcs.
Sean

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Pip Leighton said...

See my comment on the discussion board (actually Colin Gray's) on defining the different types of Realists by using "adjectival modifiers"! A good phrase - no? But basing ones thoughts on Utopia and reality? Isn't that like wanting to have your cake and eat it and always having the ability to swing both ways at will - so to speak?

 
At 3:53 AM, Blogger Sean Atkins said...

Pip,
What good is cake if you can’t eat it? The trouble I have is that I find myself sympathizing with realists on their assessment of some of the fundamentals of how international relations work. Simultaneously I am attracted to and see possibility in many utopian concepts. In reading Carr I sensed a similar sentiment. It seems reasonable that one might aspire to utopian ends while, at the same time, realizing that only means grounded in reality are likely going to get you anywhere. So I guess it’s a sort of compromise. I think the best answers are usually found in the synthesis of 2 opposing ideas. It may not be as good a cake as utopians hope for but at least I can have a bite.

Sean

 

Post a Comment

<< Home